Thursday 21 November 2013

Still life final compositions


Using the same lighting set up but changing the composition and angle I think I have created a much more interesting photograph, I have done two slightly different compositions for comparison:


Overall I prefer the red image, I think it has a greater sense of wealth about it compared to the simplicity of the first set up. I submitted this image to a photocritique group where it got some good feedback, to see this thread click here.
I shot in RAW + Large JPEG using a custom white balance and used my raw images when editing. I used the set up described in this post for my lighting. The only issues I had was the reflection in the glass and the red colour of the fabric. The glass issue was rectified by placing a further diffuser in front of the light source so soften the light so that the reflection didn't look like a soft box. In Photoshop the oil paint filter made the reflection softer yet and so less noticeable. The red fabric was corrected in RAW processing as my custom white balance suited the everything but the fabric. This allowed me to do my own colour corrections as JPEG files are already manipulated by the camera.

In this image I feel I have included both props and a set. The props are the grapes, the rope, the bottle and sand, the skull and jaw bones, the red 'cloak' and the fleece. The set is the wooden floor/table and the mottled backdrop to emulate the textured walls used in the Dutch Vanitas I was using for inspiration. The bottom of the 'table' cannot be seen, but it should be assumed that is a permanent fixture and looks something like THIS from beneath.


In this example of a Vanitas everything on the table is a prop, the table and wall are the set.


To go to the next studio lighting post, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment