Thursday 24 October 2013

Experimental Photography - Action plan

Having explored 9 different experiments I now must produce an action plan for 3 'final' images I am going to produce for the brief and how I might aim it towards to the competition 'Pride and Prejudice'.

As I stated before, I intend to mainly explore prejudice - breaking conventions of composition, shape and form.

I am going to take forward the Kaleidoscopic Prism, Peephole Photography, and the Camera Obscura technique.



Within these experiments I am going to use digital and/or darkroom manipulation to crop and/or make minor adjustments such as a curves adjustment.



With the Camera Obscura, I want to make it mobile. I am planning to use my car as a mobile camera obscura to allow me to photograph different scenes - not just the view from my bedroom. It has occurred to me that this is basically a pinhole camera, and so I am going to try and use a much larger paper stock that is appropriate for such a large camera such as 16X20 IN or 20X24 IN.

The video below has inspired me to take this technique outside.

Although not as spectacular a technique as that in the video,  I hope to capture something to the effect of those photographs. 
I will produce custom black out window covers and attach them to the inside of my car windows, in each one I will have a pin hole that I can open and close, this is so that I have options when parking the car on which window to use if for some reason the front or back window are not suitable.

I have also discovered an Israeli photographer working in France who photographs exclusively with pinhole cameras. Since about 1994 he has been using his van as a pinhole camera and has used it on a project in Paris.

Working with black-and-white photographic paper, he adds sepia tones or uses color paper to create aurora-like glows of red and orange. He recently converted a van into a rolling pinhole camera. “I have holes on both sides, on the back and on the roof,” Wolff says. The roof holes he uses for poster-sized portraits of buildings like the ever-photogenic Eiffel Tower. To compose his shots, he’s forced to do a lot of illegal parking, he cheerfully admits. “I get many tickets, but I just add these to the price of the photographs.”

"1994-97 : Based in PARIS:
Trasforming my car as Camera Obscura , specialized in "PINOGRAM" technique , using my car as camera. Project for the city of Lorient (France) "the harbour". Creating a series about the monuments of Paris using my car as camera."









With the Peephole I am going to explore both close up and long range photography to stretch the limits of the technique. I want to try and get a more prominent 'halo' around my photographs and will use both colour and black and white.  I like how in the below image the horse in the background has been reduced to an almost indistinguishable shape; almost.


The further away objects are from the Peep hole,  the smaller and less defined they become. I am interested in using this effect in my photographs to make the viewer have to really look at the image to decipher its contents.

Another Idea is to do a 'fly on the wall' photo series, as the pin hole makes you feel like you are looking from a secret spot, it might be good to maybe pretend you are a spider hiding behind the sofa, or a mouse in its hole. 


With the Prism, I am going to experiment photographing buildings, people, landscapes, objects... anything really! It's all about breaking shape and form. I have discovered that when combined with the Peephole you get an even more Kaleidoscopic effect - something I will also experiment with.
I have yet to use this properly as it is quite large, I wanted to have a clear idea of what I wanted to photograph before going out and shooting with this, as it is an awkward object to have to carry 'just in case'.


For a Time Plan I do not have a rigid structure but I'm obviously going to have to shoot outside of college. This means in college I can use my time on the computer or developing film/paper in the dark room.

to go to the next post click here

No comments:

Post a Comment