Wednesday 25 September 2013

Studio lighting - Still life - Jason and the Argonauts

The brief can be interpreted as just creating a single still life image; but after reading the criteria it seems bit more complicated than that. Included in your still life is a set built from scratch, suitable props, and planned, considered and effective lighting techniques. As well as this, you must conduct research on photographers, lighting techniques and on objects you may need to get hold of to complete the image. 

In my still life composition, I am going to create an image that encapsulates the Greek myth Jason and the Argonauts. 

Greek mythology is a collection of stories or fables/teachings that Ancient Greeks created to explain the creation of mankind and mysteries of the world around them. Featuring heroes and Gods, moral dilemmas, great tragedy, wars and seduction (to name but a few themes), myths are often moral lessons hidden within fantastical stories. Their basis being founded on religious/cult rituals, they often include sacrifice and death. 



My idea for this came from looking at various still life Vanitas and seeing that many of the contained skulls. I looked online at buying skulls or skull replicas when I came across a listing for a horned ram skull. I thought this would be just as interesting as the odd shape and horns give a different look; I then made the connection from this ram skull to the Golden Fleece from the Jason and the Argonauts.  I first came across this myth by watching the film adaptation  a few years ago that was made in 1963. I will re-watch this film to refresh my memory and make sure I can address the main themes.  


I think my composition will be of the aftermath of attaining the fleece and becoming the king of Thessaly, there will be a wooden 'table' upon which will be the fleece and the skull and other artefacts from the adventure. This table will appear as if Jason has set down his treasures from his trials and is looking upon them.



The table will be created from three large slabs of wood I have acquired. It only has to look like a table in the image as I am building a set, and it would be expensive and hard to buy and carry a table as old and as large as I need. 



UPDATE 30/9/2013



After watching the film I have picked a few other items I might include:



A white bandage to replicate the ones tied around the heads of the chosen Argonauts. 


Sand, as much of the film was set in sandy locations. 


A crude model boat similar to the ones used by the gods to plot the path of the Argo. (This may be hard to come by)


A Greek style pot/vase as extra decoration. 


Grapes (possibly, to emphasise the Greek theme (also, in still life fresh food symbolises wealth and abundance - which the fleece is said to bring to its owner))



I am in two minds as to whether to include a map in the image, as one was not used or mentioned in the film, but it might add to the feeling of having gone on a long adventure. I also don't want the photo to seem too cluttered, so I might not include all of the above items. 


To go to the next studio lighting post, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment